Sunday, August 30, 2015

Reflection on Ta-Nehisi Coates

In the video Ta-Nehisi says ¨I knew what kind of writer I wanted to be, I was not becoming that writer¨ and I can really relate to that. My writing has evolved a lot, because I've evolved a lot, and it hasn't really become what I'd expected when I first started writing.  That's not necessarily a bad thing, I don't know if it's something anyone can really predict about themselves, but it's interesting and somewhat reassuring to see someone whose career revolves around writing still struggling with things I struggle with and have struggled with.  Another thing he mentioned was how his main advice towards young writers is perseverance, and I think that's a good reminder for me.  A lot of the time I have an idea and I sit down to write, and I find myself writing something that sounds and feels wrong, and I have to just write it over and over until it's something I don't hate. Or sometimes I think I'm writing something completely different, and then I realize I'm writing a different version of a previous draft. Every idea, with enough time and editing, can be turned into something decent and I think that's important to remember even if, at the time, it feels like you're just writing the same thing over and over.

No comments:

Post a Comment