Sunday, September 20, 2015

Creating Tension


I''l be honest, I've never consciously thought about tension while writing or how to even apply it to my writing.  I've always been more poetry focused, so plots and conflicts like to hang out on the backburner of my mind and I spend time writing short lines of things that don't make a lot of sense but use some figurative language and sound kinda cool. But, after reading this passage, I figured out another reason why tension isn't something that I've thought about in my stories and poems.  I hate writing dialogue.  I love reading it, some authors are amazing at writing dialogue and I really admire that, but unless I'm writing something from a memory where the dialogue was created for me, I have trouble bringing a character to life through words. I'm more comfortable with describing actions to paint their picture for the reader.  So, I think creating tension, creating those little cliffhanger moments within paragraphs, is something I should take off the backburner and think about when I'm writing. Dialogue and tension create good stories, and though I don't think they're always key elements, it's something to think about and a new style to explore, and I'm always up for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment